Tuesday, June 7, 2011

DAY 1: getting there

It was a long, tiring journey, but I am finally here in Greece. My journey started at 6:30 Sunday morning, when I got up to get ready to go. My first flight left from Charleston at 8:45 am. Surprise surprise, I actually got into Atlanta 45 minutes early. My next flight was from Atlanta to JFK. This flight was probably the most annoying flight I have ever been on. The high school boy sitting next to me would not stop talking to me while I was trying to sleep, the kids in front of me wouldn’t sit still, and the couple in front of them would not stop making out. Good thing the flight was only and hour and 45 minutes. As soon as I got there, I had to go across the entire airport to get to my gate. I then met up with a bunch of people from my program. There were about 8 people from my program on the flight. We sat on the airplane at the gate for an hour and 39 minutes because of some sort of paperwork issue. This made us all very anxious to start the journey. Finally we were up in the air. The flight wasn't too bad. I slept and watched movies until the flight was over. I was in disbelief flying into Greece. Flying over, the water was so blue and the city was very jam packed. When we got there, we got our luggage and cash and then found a taxi driver waiting for us. Here, there taxis are Mercedes and BMWs. The taxi ride was about 25 minutes. The taxi driver took us to Hotel Fivos, a quaint hostel in the city. I shared a room with one other girl, Cassandra. Our room was pretty big compared to others who had tiny rooms. We also had a small bathroom, which I'm learning is the norm here in Greece. They don't have elevators here, so it was interesting trying to get all of our luggage up 4 flights of stairs. Let's just say I'm glad I packed as light as I did. After we got settled and cleaned up, a few of us wandered around our neighborhood and then headed up to the acropolis. The acropolis is on the top of a very large hill, so we definitely got our exercise for the day. Athens is a lot different than I thought it was going to be. It is sooo crowded and very dirty. We heard that 90% of the population in Greece lives in Athens. I believe it because it is jammed to the brim.

The stairs we had to climb to get to our room.

The acropolis

Tazhiki

After the tour of the acropolis, we went to lunch. We all just got little meals because it was pretty late in the afternoon. I got tazhiki and it was delicious. Definitely the best I have ever had. After lunch we went back to the hostel and took a much needed nap and then a shower. After we got ready, we went to dinner and met up with everyone from the other hostel. We had the best dinner at the cutest Greek restaurant. We had 14 different Greek dishes brought out to each table family style. They were so good. It was such a good way to try all the traditional Greek food. I really like moussaka, it is like a meat pie. After dinner, we walked around Athens and then went back to the hostel. We got to bed around midnight.



until next time

No comments:

Post a Comment