Thursday, June 16, 2011

Day 10: Mykonos and Delos

Today, we caught a ferry to Delos at 8:30. If you don't know anything about Delos, you should research it. It is pretty dang cool. It is completely uninhabited except for the curator. No one is allowed to be born there or die there. This is because no one can create homage there and claim it as theirs. It has a bunch of well preserved ruins. It was so awesome to see. There is just something so magical being in a place with so much history and that is completely uninhabited. Delos is also the birth place of Apollo. We walked around and looked at all of the sites. Then, Alex, our guide/teacher, took us on a hike up the mountain to see this awesome oracle. I had my merrels this time so I did not have to go barefoot. We then climbed to the very top of the mountain. It was seriously breathtaking. The views were beautiful and it was so peaceful. I sat there quietly for awhile just thinking. I thought about how thankful I am for this experience and how lucky I am. I also thought about how amazing this world is and how beautiful God's creations are. It was one of those moments in your life which touches you and there is no possible way you can ever forget how you felt during those minutes.

After Delos, we took a short ferry to Mykonos. BIG dissappointment. I thought I would love it there, but it was not that great. It was soo jammed packed and touristy, Every thing was geared around tourists, and nothing against Americans, but they were every where. It's just, when you are in a foreign place, you want to feel like you are in a foreign place. We walked around for awhile and saw "small venice." We were all laughing because we were "home sick" and couldn't wait to go back to our little island where we feel at home and are not bombarded by tourists. When we got home, we all got ready and then went out dancing again. It is a lot of fun because we get to meet a lot of locals our age and people from all over. We met some girls from Sweden and they were extremely nice and probably the prettiest girls I have ever seen. It is interesting to have conversations with people from all over. It helps me broaden my perspective on life.

until next time

No comments:

Post a Comment