Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Day 2: Paros

The first night, I had the worst nights sleep I have ever had. The room was sooo hot and the bed was squeaky and uncomfortable. Finally, I could not sleep any longer so we got up at 5 and took very cold showers and packed. We had to leave at 5:45 for the ferry. The charter bus was paid for by the program which was nice. We wound around the city for about 20 minutes before getting the the port. I was under the impression we were going to be on a tiny boat to the island, but no we were basically on a cruise ship. The ferry ride was long and boring. We were all tired and so excited to get there that we were all a bit antsy. After 4 and a half long hours we arrived in Paros. Let's just say its amaaaazing here. The ocean is so blue and clear and the weather is perfect. Its hot and sunny but there is always a breeze and it is definitely not as humid as Kentucky or South Carolina. When we got to the port, we walked to our apartment, which by the way is maybe 30 seconds walk to the beach. Our apartment is a typical white-washed, blue trim, Greek building. We each have our own room with a bed, desk, kitchenette, bathroom, closet, and balcony. We were all so excited to be there so the first thing we did was get our swimsuits on and go to the beach. The sand on our beach is a bit rocky and the water is colder than expected but I think I can manage. We then had lunch and then cleaned up for orientation. Alex, one of our teachers, took us around the town and showed us everything we needed to know. Then we had orientation at the school which consisted of going over the schedule and what not. Then we had a nice dinner provided by the school by the water front. It was another family type meal and the food was awesome. After, we went to Saloon D'or and hung out on large comfy couches they have every where. They were playing American music and no one else was there so we decided to dance a bit. After we walked home and hung out on the rooftop before going to bed. On a side note, the house cat slept in my bed with me. I went to go to be and he was just hanging out on the bed so I let him sleep there. He curled up in the crook of my knees like Lexie does. It was great and all, but now my room stinks and I am thinking he might have peed somewhere. yuck. Overall, it was a solid first day on the island and I cannot wait for many more to come.

interesting facts:
-we get our rooms cleaned every day. It is awesome. Not only do they make the beds with brand new sheets each day, but they mop and scrub and even organize. It makes me feel pampered.
-you cannot flush toilet paper down the toilet. You have to put it in the garbage can. GROSS I know.
-Greek food pretty much exceeds every expectation I had. Not only is the food great, but all of the restaurants have a great atmosphere.
-I can't speak Greek to save my life. But its all good because most people speak English here.
-A donkey lives right outside my window.

No comments:

Post a Comment