Friday, June 3, 2011

one very proud girlfriend

I have been somewhat dreading writing this post, because I have been fine thus far, and I am afraid that this might make me break down. But, it must be done.

Yesterday, Jake left for Officer Candidate School for the United States Marine Corps. Basically, it is a 10 week course for those who want to be an officer in the USMC. It is mentally, physically, and emotionally trying, but if you get through, you can then commission as an officer. If you want to find out more information, go here. Jake has been preparing for about a year now. He studied, worked out constantly, and researched. It is pretty much going to be the hardest thing he will ever have to endure in his life. Don't believe me? Watch this. But, he is completely prepared and wants it more than anything.

For the first 4 weeks, he can only communicate through letters. (yes, I plan on writing him everyday) After that, he can call when he is on liberty. People keep asking me if I am sad and if I am going to be alright. Yes, of course I am sad. But, I am also happy. It is sad that I cannot be with him for 10 weeks and cannot talk to him, but I am so happy for him. This is something he wants and has worked hard for, so why shouldn't I be happy for him? And yes, I am going to be alright. It would be selfish of me to sit around and be sad and complain. This isn't about me, it is about Jake and his love for his country and the sacrifice he is making to be a Marine Officer. I really don't think I could be any more proud of him.

Jake's "last dinner" at Tony Romas

Love You!
If you would like his address to send him encouraging letters, let me know! He needs all the support he can get.

Until next time

No comments:

Post a Comment